Monday, December 31, 2007

LET GOD BE GOD!

Hello Fellow Bloggers!!

I know it's been a while since I've posted...my laptop died a few months ago making my computer time hard to come by. But now I have a new one, praise God, so hopefully blogging will be a little easier.

I re-read my old blog from October (yes, way back in October), and found it continously applies to my everyday life. We cannot let our fears stop us from doing God's will! I have so many overwhelming fears that I, yes, even fear over having fears. How is that possible when I KNOW that God will be there for me, no matter what?

Over the past few months, I have struggled with these same issues. Afraid of this and that, these little fears threaten to consume me. When trying to do God's will, bumps and struggles are bound to happen and when they do, we each have a personal decision to make. Will we continue on the path that God wants us to travel or will we take the easy road that might seem to bring a safer, if not more comforting way.

And then for the first time in a long time after an upsetting situation unfolded a month ago, I found it hard to hear what the Holy Spirit had to say regarding this particular issue. I couldn't imagine living my life without the Spirit's guidance. I realized that I hadn't been in the Word like I should be. It should go hand in hand. I know this yet when I get baffled by something, I turn away from the very things that sustain me. Why is this?

I could blame it all on the evil one and wouldn't that be easy? But is that all there is to it? I don't think so. I think it's about letting fear get the best of me, little by little. Before I know it, I'm in a situation where I am weak and then yes, evil can worm its way into my heart, soul and mind, leading me astray, leading me away from God, his Word. While it's all right to admit that even as our faith grows, our fear is still a part of us, we cannot forget that we must keep up the basics of our faith to keep these same fears from overwhelming us to the point that we turn away from our God. This can be a gradual process and it takes an emotional experience to show that we might just not be right in our walk with the Lord.

We cannot be consumed by the "what-ifs" so that we let fear keep us from doing God's will. I really feel this is the message that God has been sending me over the past few months, and instead of digging deeper into the Word to listen to the Holy Spirit, I have been praying for easy answers that just weren't forthcoming. Imagine that.

Although God wants us to pray and I believe in the power of prayer, I feel he wants us to work at a personal relationship with Him. Key word being work. That means at a very minimum doing the right thing even though it's uncomfortable, grabbing ahold of Jesus' hand and dig into the Word to seek the Holy one's counsel, and receive a peace that only He can give.

Okay, I have brought this to my OWN attention once again, what am I going to do about it? First of all, I'm going to "LET GOD BE GOD!" Realize that I will be instructed to do God's will, BUT...he is in control of all situations... I do my part as instructed to the best of my ability, and HE does his. My pastor used this expression in a sermon when I felt most confused about the above mentioned issue. It is really so simple. Secondly, go to the Word! Seek out the message that God wants me to hear coming from Him. Then the Holy Spirit will show me the way! I cannot merely demand an answer without the proper understanding of his ways, his will.

Will this miracously cure all ills of the world, or even make my problems go away? No, but it will bring me one step closer to finding my way in this crazy world. One step closer to the place that God wants me to be at this point in my journey. Then and only then will I understand what to do in critical situations, and the smaller daily events of my life for fulfillment and joy.

This verse gives me great comfort and joy...

Romans 5:1-5
Peace and Joy 1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, wehave peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Ah, now don't you feel better? I know I do... ;)

4 comments:

C. H. Green said...

Wow, Lisa, love the new look, and I bet you're loving that new laptop! Hope you have a wonderful 2008. I have missed you. I've been working quite bit and alot going on. I knew something was up with you. Glad you're back. Love the summer pics.

Lisa said...

Hi Cindy!

So glad you like the new look...I keep changing it around, so stay tuned! :)

I am loving the new computer!! It is soooo much faster so I can get more accomplished.

The issue I mention in my last post isn't directly related to me or my family, but someone I am a caring shepherd to from church.

Couldn't really get into the particulars, but maybe in time I will be able to.

Thanks for stopping by...I'm so glad to be back! It's so much easier to make changes now! What fun!!

Diane Viere said...

Lisa!

Happy 2008! And it is happier at my household....as you are ba-a-a-a-ack!

I'm so excited for you and your new computer! And, I love your blogs new look. I, too, got a new laptop for Christmas...changed over from Windows to Apple...so I'm getting used to the differences. I think I need to take a workshop at Apple to really get to know how to navigate through this system as opposed to the familiar windows systems. I've been frustrated more than once.....still, I love it!

Loved your post....always love someone who is so authentic! Life-lessons....sometimes painful, always key to our future growth. Way to be in the moment and live intentionally!

I hope you are staying warm...is there a heat wave going on in your town? Things are mild here right now...but it's only January! What a pleasant surprise it would be if winter never got below zero! I could stop my complaining!

Take care....I'll stop by again. You do the same!

Missed you...and so glad you are back at it!

Diane

Lisa said...

So glad you stopped by, Diane and also glad you like my "updated" blog! You know I copied your music idea for the blog...fantastic!

Computers are fun until something goes wrong, then they aren't so fun ;)

Yesterday it hit 60 degrees and there were even Tornado warnings in places in the State of Michigan! We didn't have the storms that other places around us had, but it was wild weather for sure. It is cooler today...about 50 and of course with warmer temps in January, we get rain and the gloomy days, but it's better than freezing with a foot of snow on the ground!

I'm looking forward to blogging with you in the future!!