Friday, November 17, 2006

Big 4-0

Ya know, it was tough enough turning 40 last month, but when books and newspaper and magazine articles magically get smaller, that really pushes me over the edge. My husband had been bugging me to get an eye exam because I couldn't read those darn backs of medicine boxes...why or why are those so darn small???

I'd been avoiding the issue for "a while." My hubbie and I were walking the mall (which we don't do much of) last weekend, and we walked past an eye place (what are these places even called?) Anyhoo, I'm trying to steer him the other way--too late. He spotted it. So...we walked in (after his pleading and pulling), and I got my exam...the first since my exam needed for my drivers license, I think one year. (I can't remember, I'm old remember?) I have very good eyesight other than small print. (so I'm far-sighted, right))

So, the optomotrist (sp?) recommended + 1 reading glasses. Now, those take some getting used to...I can use it for close up, but as most of you know to look further with them is well...a little scary.

I thought I'd look studious and wear them at work...all that did was make me dizzy, so I wear them when I'm using my laptop and going over my novel and other misc writing projects and for that fine print everywhere else. The funny thing is I'll watch tv with them on while I have my laptop. So I have learned to adjust them on my nose just right. I look up to see the show and down to write. Am I talented or what? My family still laughs when I have them on...now that isn't very nice. I feel like a librarian when I have them on...why is that? Do I need to get one of those necklaces to attach them to? Notice how well I know the lingo! ha!

Well, the point of this...who the heck knows...it must have some entertainment value somehow. My blogger friends have such inspirational posts of late and what do I have? A post on reading glasses...I best step it up! But as most of you know (those who even care to stop by) I have more than my share of the serious side...hope you find some humor in your day...life is serious enough, right?

Have a great day!

5 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Lisa!

Sitting here at my computer, wearing my own set of age-induced reading glasses! Welcome to the club! AND Welcome BACK!

Yes, while it seems we are living longer.....the same reduction in body capabilities has not slowed down. Looks like we're going to have to learn braille if we're gonna live to 120!

I was resistant as well to admit my own diminishing vision. However, I have found the joy of looking for fashionable, funky, and functioning eye glasses. A girl needs way more than one pair! I have one set of glasses in the kitchen, bedroom, den, purse, car, and in my tote. I've even found a great pair of reading sun glasses. That is exciting only because one of my greatest pleasures previously was reading on the beach! How seriously ridiculous I looked with my reading glasses covered with another set of sun glasses! Thought it was time to do some serious shopping and found just the perfect pair of reading sunglasses. I can now read on the beach without hearing snickers from those youngsters (you know those relentless 30'something year olds! )

Look forward to seeing you more often. Glad you're back....

Diane

C. H. Green said...

Great to have you back, Lisa. Take heart in knowing that turning 41 next year won't be near as bad as turning 40 this year. LOL. Diane's right. You need more than one pair. I can't tell you how many times I've lost or broken mine. This time I got those transition lenses that change when you're in sunlight. I tried contacts, but they were always uncomfortable. Anyhoo, glad things are better for your family. Don't stay gone so long next time.

Lisa said...

Thx for your great comments, ladies! You guys are the best!!

I know I should get two pair of glasses...not ready to do that quite yet though. I got a cute pair, or as cute as they can be anyway.

I did the transition ones, those looked very cool! They were more expensive, but they're worth it, I'm sure. Reading sunglasses, who'd ever imagine that!? I will need them for the beach, dang hadn't thought about that. Are dollar store glasses the same quality?

I am terrible about going anywhere near my eyes--so contacts will be out of the question for me unless my sight gets really poor.

Nice chatting with you both!!

Dave said...

Arrr... then on to 42 like me.

Thanks for your comments on my book.

I am myopic (near sighted) so things far away are blurry. My glasses are all-purpose, so I dont have the transition problem.

I occasionally wear contacts, which is nice because there are no frames and I am not looking through sratches and other crap accumulated on my lenses. My eyes are a bit sensitive though, so I am very aweare of their presence while I have them in.

Welcome to the dark side by the way. LOL

Lisa said...

Hi Dave,
You're very welcome! You are really coming along nicely on your book. Way to hang in there--that's the toughest part, I think, for me anyway.

It seems like I've been revising/moving parts of my novel around for a long time.

Have a wonderful holiday season and thx for stopping by!!