Thursday, August 02, 2007

Books, books and more books!

Hello Fellow bloggers!

I know that it is common knowledge that there are local bookstore consignment shops that would love your books...but until noticing a cute little shop up north, I had forgotten about them.

For booklovers like myself, these shops are a place close to heaven. I wish I had all day just to explore all they have to offer. I brought in a 'few' books last fall to the above mentioned bookstore, and stopped by this summer to see if I had made 'big bucks' (really not expecting anything). I had made $13! Now, I know that sounds about as exciting as my 'big' article compensation, but that's keeping in mind that most books go for $3 there and my cut is 1/3. Not too shabby.

The reason I mention this is to remind all of the booklovers out there to look up their local bookstores! I love consignment shops regardless of the type because it is a win-win situation. I love the fact that my books are in the hands of others who care just as much about them as I do. And I have a little spending money for MORE BOOKS! ;)

I have also been checking out the local library's collection of used books for sale, knowing garage sales are even better, but those are tougher for me to get to. I can get a book for a buck. Of course, I also use the library, but found that I'm a little too lax about bringing books back...imagine that. The fees are usually higher, so I might as well buy the book, right? Then get my money back from the consignment shop!

Hey, there is logic there somewhere, I know there is! Okay, so if you are sane and can't see my logic, then will you appreciate the fun in it, like I do? Hmmm...my hubbie might not agree as he helps me carry the bags of books to the consignment shop! What a good guy!

And don't forget, somehow...someway...ENJOY THE JOURNEY!

6 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Lisa! Time to catch up!

Lolita: No haven't read it but it's on my list.

Selling books to a consignment shop: Great idea! While I have a tough time giving up ANY book I have read (although I don't seem to have a problem putting them in a box which remains in storage.....forever!)--I have given books to hospitals and schools. VERY FEW!!! As I mentioned....once I read a book...it's MINE! Need to work on the narcissism!!!!

Publication: Congratulations! No matter the fee...it's a publication! Great work! A little eerie that you were just thinking about it...and then the check was in the mail! Nice eerie!!!

I'll stop by more often.....so good to see that you are posting again! I've missed you!

Diane

Lisa said...

Hi Diane,
Nice to hear from you! I have many books that I'm keeping also ;) I have kids books that I had as a child that both of my kids have read and now they too are in storage :)

But I buy cheapies from the library and other places so I can part with them easily enough. My library fines can get costly as I am one, embarrassingly enough to lose track of them.

Thx for your support, Diane!!

It's going to get crazy over the next several weeks with sports and school activities, so if I don't post, no worries...I'll be back.

C. H. Green said...

I love bookstores, used and new. I love browsing the titles, taking them off the shelf and flipping through the pages, reading the jackets, and picking out the ones I want to carry home. And if you can't sell your books to them, a lot of them will trade. Good to see you back, girl.

Lisa said...

Hey there, Cindy!
Sooooo nice to hear from you!

I'm not alone loving bookstores? Whew!! Sometimes I feel like such a nut for liking books so much. I get a rush finding a new bookstore; that just can't be right. ;)

I have another box of books ready for consignment shop up north. My kids were making fun of me the other day as they were sorting through the books I had bought them when they were little. Most were Christian books and couldn't believe I had bought so many. We had a good laugh over it.

Well, that's a good thing though, right? :)

Take care, my blogger pal!

C. H. Green said...

I have linked to your blog and awared you the Nice Matters Award. If you have already received this award, consider yourself doubly blessed and pass it on. Thanks for the great blogs.

Lisa said...

Thanks, Cindy for the Nice Matters Award!! I appreciate that!

How encouraging!

thx again and have a good day!!