Tuesday, September 20, 2005

DaVinci Code-

I just got done reading, "The DaVinci Code," by Dan Brown. And, I have mixed feelings about the book.

For starters, I applaud the hard work and research that must have gone into the writing of this book. But, in the beginning, it was slow going for me. If I hadn't heard good things about the book from others and the fact that it has been on the bestseller list for a long time, I might have put the book down. It is definitely worth reading because the last chapters are very engaging. I found the writing to be challenging and stimulating in most parts, but again, there were some chapters where this was not the case.

Most importantly, I'm a little concerned that people will think this is non-fiction because it is based on a small amount of factual information. It made me wonder what parts of the book Mr. Brown thought were based on fact and what parts weren't. Hidden agenda? Maybe.

This book is all right for those grounded in their spiritual beliefs, but for those who aren't, I wonder if it might not lead them astray with incorrect information regarding various religious facts/beliefs. Maybe, I'm exaggerating. If you read the entire book, you'll know what I mean.

So, as a fictional book, it was pretty engaging, but remember, it is only fiction.

Check out these sites for examples of what I mean: http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/facts/fm0035.html
http://answers.org/issues/davincicode.html
http://www.ignatius.com/books/davincihoax/thefacts/
http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/newsletter/2003/nov7.html
http://www.lisashea.com/hobbies/art/general.html
*Throw "The DaVinci Code" into Google and you'll find so much more!

If you've read the book, I'd love to get your thoughts on the subject.

Remember: Enjoy the Journey!

8 comments:

Dana said...

Hey Lisa. I read that book too and enjoyed it as a fiction book. It did bring up some interesting theories though.

Great post!

Lisa said...

Hi there, Dana. The theories are very interesting, indeed. This author has a big imagination.

Dave said...

I have read it twice and have really enjoyed it.

I was skeptical of the symbols at the beginning, especially with the man on the floor in the Louvre.

Once the explanation was given, however, I was more accepting.

It was intriguing to me how realistic the fiction was. Being based on fact as much as it was, it was all very neatly woven together.

I think that is the main reason there has been so much written and said about it. Even the amount of "debunking" that has gone on testifies to its genius.

Dan Brown states repeatedly "It's a novel." But the depth and tangibility of this book makes it feel as though it is much more.

Great book.

Lisa said...

Dave,
I read the book in two days-I had to put it down obviously during that period of time, but I didn't want to.

I highly recommend the book if it is taken as fiction. Maybe it works for the author that this book is one of controversy? Hmmm...imagine that.

Dave, your book went out yesterday priority mail!

Take care and keep your comments coming!

Dave said...

My wife reads like that, she devours a book in one day, then has readers remorse because she wants to still be reading it. I usually take a couple weeks to read a book, because I dont have much free time.

Sometimes I read during my lunch at work, but for the most part, I reserve that for my writing time. It is about all I ever get.

Lisa said...

I normally don't read books that fast either, but I just couldn't put this one down. Even though there were some slow chapters, I was intrigued.

Trying to fit everything I want to do into my schedule is difficult at best! It sounds like you can relate.

We need to win the lotto!

Dave said...

What a great idea... Sign us both up :)

I'm starting a new blog for my writing side of things. I'm not completely sure how I'm going to roll it out, but there's a link to it on my blog under your link.

Lisa said...

Hi Dave-
I'll look out for it on your blog! Let me know and I'll add it to my blog. I'm not up on all of this blogging stuff, I'm very much a newbie to it all.
Have a good one!