Tuesday, June 20, 2006

WHERE DO STORIES COME FROM?

It's interesting to stop and think about where writers come up with their stories. Where do these stories come from? I hadn't put too much thought into the subject until my mom mentioned that she was depressed by my stories and didn't want other people to read them, thinking they were about me. I reassured my mom that no, in fact, they were not based on my life or me at all...but in thinking about that, I wondered if that was entirely true. The story itself is fiction, but what about my character's thoughts/feelings?

I think about some of the stories that I've written, and I have felt the way that my characters have at one time or another, but these feelings are ones that most have had, so I think readers will be able to relate to my characters better. That's the goal, right?

I have thought about where Stephen King gets his stories from. I mean, that's just plain scary. I did read his book, On Writing, but honestly couldn't tell you if he mentioned where his stories come from or not. The stories aren't real of course, but the feelings behind some of the characters must be real. I'd say all characters, but his stories can get wayyyy out there so not all are human ;)

So back to the question: Where do stories come from? I have a book on Freud and dream interpretation, maybe I should read it to see what he has to say on the subject. Obviously our imaginations, right? What does that mean? Do we have a magical fairy godmother/muse up there directing our thoughts? I know the holy spirit directs our lives down the path that God wants us to follow--is there something us going up there?

Well, now my head hurts, but I'll just say that for now, my stories are fiction and not based on anyone I know or myself, even if some of the thoughts and feelings are based on real human emotion. There...that sounds good. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

End of Story...

What do you think?

7 comments:

C. H. Green said...

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know you seek your mom's approval, but it's hard sometimes for our relatives to understand the gift we've been given to paint emotions and ideas. They don't realize that we absorb them from all walks of life, simply by observing those around us -- not necessarily family. Could be strangers at the mall, strangers at funerals, people at the office, everyday encounters, or unusual ones. I think your mom is like my family, they tend to read fiction as nonfiction--trying to decipher our brains. Or maybe they see a bit of themselves in our characters. I don't know. But you just have to write what you want to write -- or what the Lord leads, and move on. (That, coming from me, a child of an alcoholic, who can't even write a fiction story based on my own childhood experience.LOL)

Lisa said...

Hi there,
Thx for taking time out during this difficult time to visit!

I wasn't worried about my mom's approval as much as I didn't want her to worry about me if/when I write something sad/mad/bad, you know? It just comes out.

But it is a curious thing, is it not, where our stories come from?

And, anyone trying to decipher my brain is in for some real trouble, ha ha.

I think in time maybe you'll be able to write about a character experiencing some of the things you experienced during that time. Maybe not write about the actual experience, but express how you felt and that can come through in your writing (and probably already does.)

I'm praying for ya!

Diane Viere said...

Where do the stories come from? Life--

I have read that a writer who stops living--stops writing. We observe, we absorb, we interact and then we write. Of course our life experiences come out in our writing. Not only in topic matter but in how our characters respond to situations. Every life is filled with emotions--good, bad, and ugly. When a writer is honest--they tap into feelings that the reader may not wish to explore. Some readers simply want to be encouraged or inspired. Some want to read sadness all day long! Others want romance, romance, romance! To each his/her own! For the author--I believe, to keep our voice real--we must simply write--without hesitation as what our potential reader may feel. We have the right to write--they have the right to read, or not.


I know, for myself, it is very easy to write about personal experiences. I get stuck when I try to "imagine" where the story-line is going, what the characters are thinking, and what will happen. I need my personal experiences to start the creative process. Consequently, much of what I write unearths something that I have experienced; maybe not fact by fact, but certainly on a general level--a familiar emotional experience. It is therapeutic that way. Even if we are writing about sadness, somehow, when we write--we release the sadness out there--somewhere!

And when we write about joy--it is compounded. We release it to the reader and we are blessed! I love writing! Doesn't matter where, in fact, the stories come from; I just hope they keep coming!

Keep writing Lisa!

Diane

Lisa said...

Hi Diane--
Thx for stopping by and sharing your thoughts on this subject-- where our stories come from.

I agree wholeheartedly that some come from our life experiences, but what about those frightening stories that make absolutely no sense at all--that don't relate to anything we've ever seen or experienced? Like a Carrie or better yet, Pet Cemetery...not that I can write those kinds of stories anyway, but where do THOSE come from?

Think about all of the really bizzaro ones out there...sure we can trace to human emotions, that's how we get sucked into the story, but the story idea itself? When the idea is not one that we've ever encountered before? Sure, dracula stories can be based on some historical fiction and even non-fiction, but stories that are really out there, just don't seem to fall under the same category.

I just think it's interesting! Don't worry I won't think TOO much about it! Ha!

Take care!!

Dave said...

Your stories are yours. Whether your mother approves or not really doesnt matter.

Those close to you can't see past who you are and see the "horrrible" things in your story as a betrayal of yourself.

Write from your heart and if the family doesn't approve, oh well.

Lisa said...

Hi Dave,

I don't get the impression that my mom doesn't approve of my stories, but that she thinks they are about me, and then because she is my mother, she worries about me. Once a parent--always a parent, right?

I found it interesting...thanks so much for stopping by!! Hope all is well with you and your family!

Dana said...

I guess some of myself comes out in my characters, but I try to deliberately make them different, so I can try to live someone elses life for a while. You know?