Tuesday, June 06, 2006

FOCUS...FOCUS...FOCUS...

Hello Fellow Blogger Buddies~

Sorry that I've been neglectful to my blog! Blame it on the weather--the birds singing, the soft warm breezes blowing through my hair as I lounge on my deck at the RV (home away from home), those many writing projects--whatever the reason, I've been a tad bit unfocused. But lately it's most likely because I've been tired, esp after a nightmarish week of work. Hell week. It was good to go thru it, I tell my boss...to show yourself you can get thru anything...like childbirth. Ha Ha. No, it wasn't anything like that...don't worry :) This on top of an already busy few months of constant stress.

I've been trying to focus on my writing projects as I've stated before. Many writers have a hard time focusing when they have so many projects in the works. I love Kevin Alexander's monthly article in Writer's Digest magazine on the subject. He is hilarious. Here's the thing. I'm having my novel critiqued weekly at the Notebored (Writing group that I've mentioned before.) Every week as part of a workshop, I post 2,000 words and have approx 4-6 people give feedback on it. It doesn't sound like a lot, but when trying to revise the terrible stuff I wrote three years ago and then revising that after receiving feedback only to find out it's still terrible, it is tough. The cycle continues weekly. It's been five weeks now. On top of this, I really want to market a children's story as well as work on other pieces. I have my goals, but just can't seem to get all of this done! What is more important--work on the novel? Get out the children's story? How about those other two short stories that I've had critiqued and re-written 20 times that are calling my name? I also have many other flash/short shorts that I've written on the Notebored from triggers--what about them? I could re-write and post on the Notebored as part of another challenge. I also try to participate in the weekly trigger flash to keep my writing skills up to par as I revise my novel. But...what's more important? How do I prioritize? What story is more important?

Okay, you'll know by now that I'm very much a gut instinct kinda girl. I listen to the Holy Spirit for direction in my life. Does the Spirit guide me on such simple projects? If so, I'm not listening. Or am I? I could be doing many other things with my time. Why write? What does my instinct say about that? It certainly isn't an enjoyable experience all of the time, especially after another "critter" slaughtered my flash or thinks my novel is something out of a scary movie. Okay I might be exaggerating, but honestly, it does get overwhelming. Does anyone else feel this way?? Am I all alone? Am I normal?

Remember the post for lists and goals? Well, I still make them and actually do accomplish quite a bit, but every day lists? No way. Just can't do it. And after reading my earlier post on this subject, it sounds insane. I think I'm trying to control my life better, not wanting to miss out on everything. But life isn't that controllable is it? And do I need to be reminded of this daily?

So back to the main question, am I alone in my frustration of being a writer who struggles with her goals because of lack of time and focus? You tell me. Is there magical dust that I can buy? Will my muse help me? Will the Spirit show me the way? Or do I just write and write and write and do the best I can?

The good news is God is there for me. He listens to my insanity and frustrations and the Spirit does show me the way. I just need to remember to be still and listen to His voice. While I might go about my writing in an unfocused way...God reminds me to put the focus back on him. Hmmm...that is much more important. Yes, there is still craziness, and I still want everything organized, but my peace returns about my writing. I know this is the direction I should follow. I know that everything is fine. Just fine.

Thanks for reading and listening. I feel better already.

Enjoy the Journey!!

5 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Lisa--Let me be the first to say WELCOME BACK! WE MISSED YOU!

While I have no professional words of wisdom to offer--I do know that writing--writing-writing--often is the answer to most dilemmas! You are doing just that. The writing exercises, the writing clubs, the writing goals--all seem to be pointing you in the same direction. Busy-ness will always be there--the trick is not letting it zap your creative energy! I think that means--take the time to relax--to give yourself a breather--so you can write...in the moment. Sometimes life speeds along so quickly--that I am not sitting in the moment, even while I am sitting to write. My mind is scattered, it is racing, it is not free to sit and think--to absorb life and let it freely flow onto a piece of paper or computer screen. You are not alone in your frenzy! Nor are you alone in the support of your goals! We are cheering you on....each crazy step (word) of the way! Keep writing!

Diane

Lisa said...

Hi Diane~
Thanks for the encouragment!! I appreciate it!! It felt soooo good to that off my chest.

I forget to breathe--okay, I forget to take deep breaths! I remember my Grandpa telling me when I was a teenager to take deep breaths and that would help. I can't remember why he told me this, but I remember that--isn't that funny. It was probably in reference to my running since I was in track and cross country in H.S.--imagine that!

Thx again for stopping by! Hope all is well in your world--will be stopping over to see you real soon...if only in blog world ;)

C. H. Green said...

I've been wondering where you were. So glad you're back.

Dave said...

I'm a bit out of focus right now

Lisa said...

Hi Cindy--how's it going?? Thx for stopping by...my DSL has been down for two days...it's killing me. I probably did something wrong, "again." Trying to look at blogs is tough w/o that!

Hi Dave--sorry to hear that you're unfocused, but glad I'm not alone :) Maybe we just need to win the lotto and quit our jobs??
How's the little guy doing?