Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Real Life Stuff

So are ya ready for a philosophical chat? Hope not. How about listening to me ramble about silly stuff?

Like why/how I always have extra socks AND missing socks ...now I know this must happen to other people, right? But now, it's underwear for my boys...okay, my hubbie and son, to be exact. They both scratch their head and wonder where all of their underwear go. And I honestly don't know. I search, oh yeah, I look under beds, near the washing machine, the hamper? Why would I check in the hamper? I've checked laundry baskets and other misc places. Where do they all go?

And why is it my responsibility to know where these items are at all times and a better question is why it's my responsibility to find them? Yuck. Dirty socks and underwear. Dang. Did I sign up for this duty somewhere along the way? When I ask the question to "my boys," they only shrug and say, "cuz, you're the mom." Hmmm, now where have I heard that before?

Or what about, the slamming of cupboard doors one-by-one by family members and of course the refrigerator door slams next. "Mom, where's all the food?" It's Wednesday. I went shopping on Friday night and spent $160 on food. Where did that all go, I ask. They want me to get more food. I say no. Why, they ask, with hungry eyes of a child who has had something to eat ten minutes ago. Friday, that's shopping day, that's why. They moan and groan and then find something that they'd passed over earlier in the week. It's hard not to stop to the store during the week and of course there are times when I must, but I could quite possibly be there every day if I didn't draw the line. I ask my 21 yr old to stop by for her own needs and you'd think I'd just slapped her. But that's another story.

How about the towel dilemma--those sometimes, too become MIA. And since when were two towels needed for a shower? This is a necessity according to my daughter. Heck I'm all for using the same one two days in a row, now that is a sin.

And how is your day? Can anyone relate to any of this craziness?

7 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Lisa,

You ask BRILLIANT, deeply perplexing and profound questions! The ONLY answer I have...is that once, as women, we say "I DO," we actually are saying that we DO take responsibility for ALL missing sox, underwear, towels and midnight grocery runs....for the rest of our long-livin' days! I have found that I am responsible for the missing ketchup bottle in the fridge.....identifying EXACTLY where the missing item is--when I ask someone else to look for it!...and a multitude of other dilemma's. Geesh! I thought we were liberated YEARS ago!

I say this--lovingly--with tongue in cheek! I love being a wife and mom, but can become exhausted from time to time! I think we add to the dilemma by not "giving it back" to those who wear the underwear, those who misplaced their items, those who come to us before they have even looked!

Frequently--my 14 year old asks me (actually--every morning!) "MOM! Where are my shoes!" It took me three children and thirty+ years of marriage to say in return (instead of looking for them) "I didn't wear your shoes last--where did you leave them!?!?!"

Great post! While it may not be labeled philosophical--it is certainly a PRACTICAL conversation!

Diane

C. H. Green said...

I can't tell you how much I identify with this post, from the dirty underwear down to the groceries. My dryer recently quit drying on me, and when my six year old got behind it (He's the only one who will fit back there in that tiny spot) he took the hose off, and in it was one of his socks. I can't explain how it got in the tubing that vents outside, but it proves my theory that the washer and dryer definitely
DO eat our socks!

C. H. Green said...

And Diane, I think it's because we have built-in radar to find these things. I laugh and tell my husband it's because I have a uterus and he doesn't.

Lisa said...

Hi Cindy!
Thx for stopping by...sorry I'm behind AGAIN in blogging! August is always a crazy month. And to top it off, my laptop died! Yikes! My desktop downstairs is on the fritz, too...not good.

I'm glad that you understand my previous post of lost things! So, you caught a sock actually sneaking out, did you? hmmm...so that's how they do it! :)

I hope things are going better for you! I know you've been going thru a tough time lately.

Take care!
-Lisa

Lisa said...

Hi Diane--
Did I say Hello and thanks to you for stopping by earlier this month--shame on me if I didn't!

I responded to your email to me today, also! Thx so much for thinking of me and my family.

Somehow I knew you would be able to relate to this post! :)

Dave said...

The "We never have any GOOD snacks" line happens often at our house.

"Feel free to buy your own snacks." usually shuts them up.

C. H. Green said...

Okay, Lis, you've had a long enough break from blogging. What's going on? Everything okay? just checkin in.