Tuesday, March 14, 2006

COMPUTER CRASH!

Howdy fellow bloggers!

Well after all of these years, I FINALLY did it. I pushed my computer over the edge. I made it crash & burn...I wanted to add further insult and throw it outside, but I restrained myself.

What happened? I am too fearful of those stupid automatic updates etc. My hubbie normally handles this silly stuff at home but he's on the road. So...to make a long, disastrous story short, I stopped the update mid-way thru and according to my husband, created a world of hurt. I said, "nah, it's fine." Well, the next day, it kept crashing, and I couldn't even use the go-back feature. Help me, dear Lord. Keep in mind that I'm an office manager and deal with computer issues there. Why is it when I get home, my brain shuts off for the computer stuff? I just don't get it.

Okay, so now I'm trying Nerds 2 Go, and praying that the tech does a good job...he's "trying" to save all of my files. It's amazing how much we rely on this silly thing. I mean, I have so many files, it's hilarious. I have family trees that represent many years of research etc., too many stories I've written and many family pics. Yeah, I know, we're supposed to back this stuff up and my hubbie does this but he's been busy so it hasn't been done in 6 months, which creates some havoc. Even when I get my computer back, it might be awhile before I have internet access so my blogs will be limited as I will only have access at work. So...don't forget about me.

This started out to be a short blog, really... :)

Enjoy the Journey
(I'm trying, really I am :)

7 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Welcome to my world! :)

Lisa--I have done the same thing--as a matter of fact not too long ago my home fire alarms went off, alerting the fire department. After smelling a suspicious odor nearby my computer room,when they called to see if the alert was real, I told them to come to my house. Little did I know that two firetrucks with six men in full fire-protective gear would ring my doorbell! How embarrassing! However, they too smelled the odor and walked through every corner of my home checking for the source of the possible electrical fire. They even went up into our attic--which has never been seen by human eye since the construction of the house! You would think I would be worried for their safety (!)...but, no-o-o-o-, I was cleaning the kitchen! You never really see the mess until you have company!

Long story short--we didn't have an electrical fire.....my computer had literally.....burned out. I'm serious! The hard drive was quietly burning out sending short puffs of smoke into the computer room--which set the fire alarm above the door off. I'm not sure which hero solved my problem that day--it didn't matter.....I was experiencing an anxiety attack brought on by embarrassment! :)

I lost more than pride that day--I lost files...and any hope that I should be allowed on a computer! Afterall, I used to think this computer thing was just a trend!

So, Lisa, my friend--it could have been worse! You could have been humiliated......by a messy kitchen!~

diane

Lisa said...

Hi Diane!
Thx so much for sharing your story! It sounds funny the way you put it, but I know it wasn't at the time-that's for sure. Thx for letting me know that I'm NOT alone...

Even as I read my post, I sense a feeling of desperation in my post-okay, I sound like a "nut."

I get to meet the techie at lunch to get my computer-oh I hope it works okay!!

Have a good one and don't forget to email me your address so I can send your book!

Lisa said...

Hi, March St. Ives-I couldn't get on your blog for some reason-it wouldn't let me ;) Pls email me at lbraendle@aol.com. Also, you are the March contest winner-first newbie to the site, if/when you link to my site! Not sure if you've done this or not. And by the way, Happy St. Patty's day to ya!

Thanks also for stopping by and for sharing! My hubbie will be backing everything up when he gets home, that's for sure! My techie was able to save all of my files-thank goodness! I'm up & running. I still get a silly AOL box that asks to install an update but then when I try to install it, it doesn't do anything but sit there until it pops up again! Frustrating!

Diane-I can't find your email addy anywhere-pls advise what book to send out!!

Thx for sharing and caring!

Have a great day!

-Lisa

Dana said...

Oh my goodness! I have been there, Hon. Losing pictures of your babies is the worst! And your writing! hope it comes out OK.

Lisa said...

Hi Dana!!
Nice to hear from you! Thx for your concerns on my computer woes. Thankfully, my files were able to be saved! My baby pics are saved on zip disk! I also have saved negatives in my fireproof box! But I had a ton of files (& misc pics) over the past six months that I could have lost, but didn't-yeah like my writing files. My hubbie will be backing up our files more now-that's for darn sure!!

I do have a zip disk that I save my work on also-I have my novel saved on three sep disks also. Maybe it would be better to lose that though :)

Thx for stopping by Dana!! Come back real soon, k?

C. H. Green said...

Been there, done that. You know I lost the first 50 pages of my first attempt at the novel. Now, 11 chapters in, I back up to disk after each chapter. And since the last crash, I have hardly any pictures on here. I lost Microsoft Office and had to get a free OpenOffice program because I couldn't find the disk to reinstall. Had to get free antivirus too. So save those installation disks. I learn everything the hard way.

Lisa said...

Hi Cindy,
I hate to say it, but I'm glad that I'm alone! Thankfully everything was saved, but my hubbie is going to back everything up again when he gets home.

Thx for stopping by! I will get my latest story over to ya!

Take care!!