Tuesday, March 07, 2006

REJECTION!

First Draft-as not to forget my thoughts...I will be revising this post...

When you see that word, what do you visualize? Anything in particular come to mind? Maybe a past relationship? As we enter Lent Season, I just can't help but think about the rejection that Jesus must have felt from some of his friends on that fateful day, all those years ago near the time we now call Easter.

Yesterday, I received my second rejection (in two weeks) for a story submitted, and I can't help but feel just a little down about it. Yeah, yeah, I know...it's just a part of the publishing world-part of the game. I'm not even submitting as much as I could be so shame on me, but I still have expectations that have not been met. I feel just a little rejected by a world I so much want to be a part of. Was this what Jesus experienced but on a much greater degree? I think he must have.

I think I can put my rejection into perspective as I can only imagine Jesus being led up that hill to that cross for my sins and my ultimate redemption. I like to focus on the good of Easter, but let's face it, there was a lot of bad along with it. So much sweat, blood and tears-none which even compares to the rejection I've felt in my short writing career. But it does make me think about Jesus, the man, who felt tremendous pain and rejection, and all for man...for me.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Rejection is another word for Try again.

There are several reasons this could have happened.

1) Great story, wrong magazine.

2) Right Magazine, wrong time

3) Good story, maybe revising will bring it up to great.

4) Was it your cover letter's fault? Great story, crappy cover letter? (I am wondering about that on my submission that I havent yet heard back from)

5) etc.

Remember that this isn't a stumbling block but a step up to a higher place.

go get 'em!

Lisa said...

Amen! Thanks for the reminders Dave-important for me and fellow bloggers!

That's what's tough-there could be so many reasons. I'd just like one to say, "hey it's a crappy story-work on it or toss it or burn it-whatever. Or your cover letter needs some serious work...etc and so on. I know...I know, they receive thousands of submissions blah blah blah. Well if they are going to take the time to send a rejection letter-one extra letter comment wouldn't hurt that much, would it?

Sorry to ramble...I'm okay with the rejection...I think. :)

Thx again Dave for putting things in perspective.

Take care!!