Sunday, April 23, 2006

Books, books, books...

I just wanted to pass along a couple of good books that I've recently read.

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova

This was a difficult and LONG book for me. I struggled through the historical parts, but the book is well-written and while I also struggled with the different POVs, it was suspenseful and interesting. (Although I must confess skimming over some of the historical parts-shame on me because the novel is beautifully written.) It was good and spooky! Believe it or not, it was a book about the history of Dracula (and variations thereof) mixed with a fictional tale about him.

Me, by Katharine Hepburn

I've been fascinated with Katharine Hepburn for as long as I can remember. I was recommended by a used bookstore clerk this particular book since it was written by Katharine herself. I highly recommend it as well. I read it in two days. Although I wish she would have written more on her relationship with Spence, I found the book to be fascinating and Katharine very witty-quite hilarious at times. Her life was grand. I'm going to rent her older movies-if I can find them ;) I've seen a couple with her and Spence. Loved her with John Wayne, in Rooster Cogburn and also in On Golden Pond.

I'm in the middle of Scott Turow's, Reversible Errors.

Any recommendations?? Reviews??

ps-I also picked up Dan Brown's, Angels & Demons...see earlier posts on my review of his book, The DaVinci Code and my issues with it. Okay, I had to get it out of curiousity!

I'm officially addicted to books-please someone, please stop me. I can't stop going to the library, Barnes & Noble, and now Ludington has a used bookstore, which I love...not good. Not good at all. Oh well, guess there are worse things, right? Oh yeah, wouldn't want to forget my writing bookclub...yikes!

5 comments:

Dana said...

Hey Lisa! Just got back last night and have been trying to catch up with my blogging and writing.

Hope you are having a wonderful Spring!

C. H. Green said...

Lisa,
Thank you for your thoughts on my post, "Fencing God In--Or out." Please pass the word to your friends in your writers groups and ask them to post their opinions. I've been talking to a publisher via email. And I'd like to get some support here for my little theory. Thanks. Cindy

Lisa said...

Hi Dana! Welcome home! I'm glad to hear that is well...looking forward to Spring for sure! It looks and feels more like winter out there today though.

Hi Cindy,
I'd love for you to join us over at the Notebored-I know it was a pain to try and register at first but I think those issues have been resolved! If you go to:
www.notebored.com and register, you'll get that infamous code and shouldn't have any problems after that, but it's a great team over there...this would be a perfect thing for that group!!

There is a lot going on there all of the time...it takes time to get used to things, like anything else I guess...let me know if you need help...although I know I wasn't much last time :)

I will pose the question to them-pls let me know if I have permission to copy & paste your post there-but I'd love for you to join too :)

Anonymous said...

I have a copy of The Historian on my bookshelf but haven't tackled it yet. My partner bought it for me whilst I was in hospital but one look at it said it would be far too heavy going for hospital bed reading; I needed something that was less demanding. Now that I've heard somebody give it a good review, I may well give it a go (once I've got through the pile I have at the side of the bed, that is).

Lisa said...

yeah, The Historian, is a big one! Too long actually...but historians are hissing as I type this, just my litle ole opinion!