Thursday, April 27, 2006

What is this? Who wrote this?

I'm at the point now that I've written enough short stories, articles and other writing projects that there are things I don't remember writing! I came across this little diddy and still can't figure out why I wrote it. After revising it slightly, I remember writing parts of it, but it's all a blur. I have no idea where this came from...do you know what I mean?

Title? If I posted this early on in my blog days, forgive me...I can't remember ;) I think I wrote that already, right? See what happens when you approach 40? Enough stalling...here goes...


The tall, wet grasses brush against my old cotton sweats as I run, slipping and sliding on the slippery trail. Branches from large old trees bend and twist as I make my way alongside the stream, which is partially frozen with water still flowing. The scene of the stream, the glistening trees and squirrels scattering as I press forward should comfort me. I yearn for peace. I race to find it. Instead, strands of cobwebs fill a deep empty abyss that should be a normal functioning brain. Lead weights attach to my eyelids. I stop running and wipe beads of sweat off of my forehead. I close my eyes and take a deep breath filling my sore lungs with sweet, fresh air, exhaling to the point of a sigh.

Why can’t I escape my body and rise high above the trees to the heavens and leave this pain behind? I wonder. And, I want to continue my run. I want to scream-the kind that hurts your throat and takes your breath away. Instead, with heavy tight shoulders, I fall to the hard, icy ground. I sit in a pile of coldness and look at the whiteness and wonder how it can appear so bright when all I really see is a blackness that won’t go away.

An imaginary mass of misery and darkness swirls above, through me and finally rests on my shoulders. I can’t touch it, but sense its long, sharp teeth ready to devour me like the big bad wolf in an old nursery rhyme, which actually reminds me of another time and place-my youth and happiness, now a thing of the past. The powerful pull of restlessness takes over. A single tear falls down my face. No more will follow. Tears won’t take it away. I know.

This thing of unrest and heaviness consumes my thoughts. I want to grab and shake this endless stream of emptiness and loneliness. I want to place this crazy ball of destruction into a sling, fling it over my head and watch it sail.

I stand and spin round and round, hold my head and yell, “Move on! You can’t have me. I have so much to do.” Only silence follows. This is all too familiar.

Little gray and white sparrows flutter in the trees and bushes next to me and somehow, I know the cloud of gloom will not pass until it has dumped its ugly contents on me. I shudder and feel goose bumps rise and scatter across my skin. I sigh and remember I’ve run into the forest near my home and know much time has past as I see the moonlight peaking through the snowy twigs. I notice puffs of my breath steaming the air around me.

A light crunching sound behind me, my whole body stiffens. I hold my place, too afraid to move. And, suddenly I see them. A wide-eyed doe and her fawn stand motionless about fifty yards and stare at me. The burden once weighing on my shoulders has been lifted. Once again, I remember what peace feels like, if only for a brief moment in time.

###

10 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Wow! That is a piece you don't want to forget!

Very descriptive, very moving! Describes a place we have all been!

It touched my soul! It describes my day just yesterday--after receiving some disheartening news during the night before, I tried to push my way through yesterday--trying not to slide into the restlessness of anxiety instead of the peace of faith! My place of "fall[ing]to the hard, icy ground [and] sitting in a pile of coldness [while] looking at the whiteness and wonder[ing] how it can appear so bright when all I really see is a blackness that won’t go away"--was spent NOT calling friends to commiserate, not venting by posting on my blog. Rather, as I sat in this cold icy place--I talked to God.


The most powerful sentence or two for me is, "A single tear falls down my face. No more will follow. Tears won’t take it away. I know."

It IS the light of God's presence that forges our way--even through the darkest of places. Perhaps that is why we know that tears will not wash away our pain--our strength (or ability to throw "this crazy ball of destruction into a sling, fling it over my head and watch it sail"), is only in God's strength that we have the power to escape.


I'm so glad you found it! Lisa--THIS is a powerful little ditty!

Diane

Lisa said...

Thanks Diane...I'm not sure this has a place in the publishing world but I like it...

Is a little story, "ditty?" I thought it was diddy? ha!

I'm sorry to hear you had a rough day, too! God is also my refuge and strength...but there are days when I try to duke the world alone and it is at my desperate times that God shows up. I'm learning to reach for him 24/7 instead of just during those desperate times.

You hang in there-I know you will. And thanks for your support!!

I have a little story I'm going to place on my blog again-one critter liked it, another didn't. Go figure... :) Let me know what you think!

Thx again! And take care!

Diane Viere said...

Lisa--don't count on me for the correct usage of ANY word. Diddy it is! I was teased last night by my son's girlfriend for calling the window on the front of cars....
Window-shield!" She laughed hysterically, to my dismay! I asked her--"what's so funny!" She said...in between gasps of laughter---"You called it a window-shield!" I said....pleased she was respecting her elders and listening!....."Yes--what do you call it?"

"Windshield!" Ha! Ha! Ha!

Well...so now I'm on a roll--ditty for diddy....windowshield for windshield. Man--I used to be so articulate! What happens to your mind when you turn 50!!!!!

Guess I should be happy that I am bringing so much joy to the younger generation! :)

Going to google ditty and windowshield right now--talk later!

:) Diane

Lisa said...

diddy
adj

diddier, diddiest
1. colloq
Small; tiny.

I took the word diddy from a song about Jack & Diane...sorry old John Cougar song...I digress.

This is the adjective for small...so little and diddy are the same thing ;) I'll keep looking :)

I seriously wondered if it was ditty-I'm still not sure if either is a word. I love windowshield! You are unique!

Diane Viere said...

"I love windowshield! You are unique!"

You are too sweet--I fear I am just too literal!

:)

Diane

Lisa said...

Glad that you liked it and have a name for it! Hodge podge is what I call it...is there a place for something like this in the publishing world? Just curious. I have been reading up on flash fiction, which really interests me and I think this might qualify. Not sure.

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know your thoughts on it! I appreciate it...

Have a great day!

C. H. Green said...

I always thought a short little song was a ditty. Hm. Will have to look that up too. LOL

Lisa said...

Right you are, Cindy!

dit·ty [ díttee ] (plural dit·ties)
noun Definition:

song: a short simple popular song

and Diddy means tiny...so unless my story is a song, it isn't a ditty and unless I want to call me story a little "tiny" I guess neither will work.

Too funny!

Diane Viere said...

Helloooooooooo! Where are you! Miss you!

Diane

Lisa said...

I'm here, I'm here!! Busy, busy, busy...

I've been working on revising my novel with a writing group right now so I'm a bit overwhelmed. That dang novel won't leave me alone! I figure why not try, right? You just never know...

Did you see that other writer accused of plagerism? What the heck is going on?

Thx for stopping by!!