Thursday, April 06, 2006

Time!

Why doesn't there seem to be enough time in the day? If I do find time, I'm too tired to accomplish everything I want. Yikes! One might consider this a sign of unrest, but I sincerely have so many things that I want to do. And although I am quite busy, I am at peace most of the time.

I try to organize and prioritize (as I've mentioned before about my writing projects), but I'm talking in general now. Let's face it, writing is only one small part of my life. I talk about writing quite a bit here, but I have so many other interests. Trying to prioritize and make time for everything just seems harder at this point in my life. I didn't have time to think about my priorities before because I had so many immediate needs that were obvious. Now I can pick & choose a little bit more, but then I'm unfocused.

My children are getting older so it should be easier, right? Not happening yet. Of course they are still living at home. I don't see any changes in the amount of laundry, that's for sure. ;)Remember washing the little ones clothes, maybe you're at that point in your life now, enjoy it. At least the clothes are small. :) Towels, towels, towels...I ought to have nightmares about dirty towels squeezing the life outta me. There is always a load that needs to be done.
But, I digress.

I'm going to try a schedule or goal list of some sort to list everything I want to do and see what happens. I hate to resort to list making because I think we are robbed of some joy if we get too carried away with just checking off the lists in our life. But I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Here's what I'm thinking on days I don't have anything scheduled in the Evening during the week:
8-4:30-Work ;)
4:45-5:00pm-Pick up Cody from practice. Ask about his day etc. Any homework?
5:00pm Dinner/misc chores-dishes, sweeping etc.
6:00-Check with Cody to make sure homework is being done or done. Game?
Misc chores-check on laundry, bills/misc paperwork, check schedule for next day to see what Cody is doing in track (practice or meet), CS/church duties (any cards to mail-anyone to check on?)
8:00-Spend time with Cody-ask about homework, play a game, if he will :) Watch television/read newspaper? Relax...Start looking at writing projects or read one of my books.
9:00-Writing/Devotional-will need sep outline writing project needs and devotional time. I'm currently working on a study guide on Luke. I normally spend an hour on that daily.
10:00-Television program/news-misc. writing if not too tired. Check emails. D. Check schedule for the next day.
11:30-Night night time

Weekends...that's a whole different world...that's when I do the most of my chores (too long of a list) and writing projects. With so many other things to do, it's extremely hard to focus. Can't plan ahead too much. I try to plan at least one thing together each weekend with Cody-he's a teenager so it's tough. This Friday, I'm talking the afternoon off and concentrating on just him! I'm taking him shopping for a few things he needs, going out to eat and to a movie. Tough to do at this age, but I feel it's very important! I'm trying to hook up with my daughter this weekend also-we need to connect.

Of course this is on non-track meet days . Then everything shifts by at least two hours... See my problem??

How do you fit it all in? Any suggestions?

10 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Lisa--You need to quit that job! Then you'd have so much more time for the writing projects! :)

It is hard to schedule in time...for something that you love--but is low on the priority of reasonable and responsible parenting! I find that I am sneaking 30 minutes here and 20 minutes there....but when the muse hits....I lose all track of time and reasonableness! That's when the refrigerator remains bare...and the laundry never gets folded! Where is that maid when you really need her.

I have taken to telling the kids--"mom is working"--but I think they've caught on.....however, writing, even in the beginning stages.....could be classified work!

Blessings to you as you continue to maintain a loving family, beautiful marriage....and feed the desires of your heart...all in the same moment!

Diane

Lisa said...

Hi Diane!
I wanted you to know that my mom read your blog the other day and cried at one of your posts. She liked your blog.

I agree that I need to quit my job-ha ha, but then I wouldn't be able to afford my high speed DSL and wireless Internet, laptop, books etc. Dang!

I'm so glad that you understand! Some days, I'm fighting to get any writing in while others I'm in another world typing away not realizing how many hours I'd spent writing. No matter what, I never feel like I've spent enough time on something.

It's embarrasing but I chose to write rather than iron cordoroy pants that always annoy me when they come out of the dryer wrinkled! I mean, I shouldn't have to iron cordoroy! But they are comfortable to wear to work. So I wore them wrinkled-oh my gosh...I felt like a rebel for the day, ha ha. I work with all guys and actually they could care less.

thanks for stopping by and sharing your day with me!
ps-my fridge has been "bare" for days, according to my kids! There is plenty there, but you know how that goes-out of snacks! I told them I'd go tomorrow ;)

Diane Viere said...

Ironing? Hmmmm? I have to think really hard--sadly my memory ain't what it used to be!

Please tell your mom THANKS for stopping by my blog. If she leaves a comment (what is her screen name) I promise, I'll get back to her.

I'm sitting on the deck of my hotel room in Orlando--enjoying their wireless service. This is fantabulous!!!! Curt arrived in Orlando last night at 6:00 p.m.--his 1600 mile trek completed. We went to dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe...where he immediately started.....crying---he is so emotional now that he is Orlando. I think the reality of his journey has now hit him--he misses his Dad...his little brother (who stands three inches taller than me!)...he misses home already. Which is a down-right---gosh-darn jump on your bed--amazing when you think about it. Don't get me wrong--I am feeling conflicted about his mood. I want to wrap him up (with a gas card) and send him back home.....but his sentiment represents heartstrings that are still intact after a long battle. :)

k--make it a great day--and now that I've experienced wireless....I see why you work! It's like color TV...once you experience it..you can't go back!

:) diane

Lisa said...

Orlando? Hotel room? That sounds wonderful! How long are you there for?? It sounds like maybe this experience away from family will help him to appreciate all of the good things in his life and just how important family is! I pray that he will find his way and that you will continue being a positive influence yet will find peace throughout this hard transition.

Ahh, the wireless! Yes, it is a beautiful thing!! See what I mean? I'll sit on my couch and think, I wonder if I have any email. Oh yeah, I can check it right now as I reach for my laptop ;) Sorry I just couldn't help it...

Yeah I only iron when I absolutely have to, which isn't very often, let me tell ya. I have the small boards-my big old one has tons of cobwobs on it down in our basement ;) Normal people leave it out in their basement, not me. No sirree.

My mom won't leave a message - she doesn't leave any on mine either...maybe one day :)


Enjoy the sun! It's cold and rainy over here in Michigan-we're supposed to see snow showers this afternoon. Eek! My son and I were playing scrabble last night and I tried to make the word "eek" and he wouldn't allow it. I like it up in our scrabble dictionary and lo & behold, it is NOT an acceptable word. Darn! ;) I digress-again.

Enjoy your day!!

C. H. Green said...

You would think an unemployed, stay-at-home writer mom would have plenty of time for ironing...not so. LOL. I prefer to fluff in the dryer with a wet towel...but then again, when you're unemployed, you don't have to even dress for the day if you don't feel like it. The drawbacks are obvious, alas, slow dial-up. But hey, at least I still have that. And Lisa, just send me your towels. I do laundry daily...and still never get caught up. My two boys think they have to have 2 towels every time they shower. Sigh....

Lisa said...

It's funny that you write that, Cindy because when I'm off from work for vacation-whatever, it's even harder for me to get my "chores" done!

I got to do two more loads of towels today :) Yippee!

Hey that towel/fluff trick to get wrinkles out is my idea! :) That's hard with cordoroy pants though-I tried...

Thx for stopping by! Hope all is well with you!

Lisa said...

Hi March SI~
I have the Writer's Market book, which lists a few agents who deal with children's books. I found a site that lists a ton of publishers, but most of the big ones work only thru agents. hmmm...imagine that. I could buy the Children's Market book, but it's a tad bit much for just one book :) I don't plan to write many children's books, but...you never know.

I'm not even sure how the whole illustration thing works. If I found my own illustrator, do I submit the art work right along with my work? See how confused I am? That's why the story is geared for a magazine right now. I had it critiqued and many suggested it as a children's book (read by parent)

I keep changing it anyway. ;) I'm going to resubmit it to Highlights Children's mag, and see if they tell me to go fly a kite (again) One can only try, right?

Thx for understanding my crazy posts and for stopping by!

C. H. Green said...

Ok Lisa. Where ya been, girl. I was hopping by to TAG YOU. YOU'RE IT. See my blog for details. Hope everything is ok with you.

Diane Viere said...

Helloooooooo! Are you there? Are you o.k? I have been missing you of late. I hope you are doing great--and can find TIME soon to rejoin the blog-dom. It's just not the same without you!

Besides......You're it! You've been tagged by our writing sista! We've been tagged. We're it! :)

Diane

Lisa said...

Hi Cindy, (Diane -responded to you on other msg)

Thx for stopping by!!! I'm playing! I've been super busy...as I stated to Diane, I guess my time management has failed. My appt book looks like a cyclone hit it!

But Spring has Arrived! If we would have had one more month of winter, I think I would've lost it!

How's your novel coming along?? I'm working on mine (again) slowly...ever so slowly...revise, revise, revise...the more I learn, the more I know my book stinks...boo hoo.

Love ya all...I'll try to post and check out blogs real soon.