Sunday, May 14, 2006

Motherhood

As another Mother's Day comes to an end, I am convinced that my role as mother is not only one of the most important ones in my life, it's the most difficult. I have accomplished things in my life that I would consider tough. I've worked stressful jobs under tough managment and went back to college to earn my degree, working full time while raising a family, etc. But I'm telling ya, nothing compares to the challenges I face as a mother--daily. And it doesn't get easier as my children get older, much to my disappointment.

This divine appointment is one that takes my breathe away, an emotional rollarcoaster that no amusement park can outdo. It's amazing how many ups & downs a mother can experience in one day, let alone how much one experiences throughout the years. I feel pain, anger, frustration, impatience--okay, just flat out pissed off one minute while the next, I am joyous, amazed, calm and appreciative of the blessings/gifts God has given to me. Up and down, Up and down...and let's throw in the twirly rides, too--the twists and turns, just for fun because that's what a mother feels like. Sometimes I wish I could keep my emotions at bay, but I'm not sure that's the best way. Is it even possible, all of the time? Not in my world. We can't just push a magical button and make all situations/circumstances better with a calm smile. I believe there is a time, place and reason for different emotions.

My kids see and know the real me. They know the mom who loses her temper and cries over it--who apologizes for it, but stands firm when a harsh, "no" must be spoken, even when she wishes she could say yes. They see a mom who struggles with life and her own dreams, who has a mind and wants to be the best she can be for God, her family and her true self. One who works hard to fit everything in, but seldom accomplishes everything she wants to.

Do I pray for patience and less rollercoaster rides? Oh yeah, but I'm glad that my kids really know who I am rather than some watered down version of who they think I am. I am who I am, after all, and I wouldn't trade being a mother for anything in the world.

To all of you mothers on rollar coaster rides, Happy Mother's Day!! And a special, "Happy Mother's Day," to my own mom who knows exactly what I'm going through! Thanks, Mom for being there and sacrificing so much for me.

Enjoy the Journey!

3 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Yes, isn't it interesting that being a Mom....helps us appreciate our own Mom's!

What a ride it truly is!

I'm so glad I'm on the rollercoaster...and there are so many women who, not only WHOOP for joy with me, but encourage me, support me, and pray with me as we are on this ride!

Great post!

Diane

C. H. Green said...

Never had the courage to get on a real coaster, however, I haven't been given a choice about the ride my life is on this year. I am determined to grit my teeth and find something to enjoy.

Lisa said...

Thx ladies for stopping by!

And Cindy, I hope the upcoming months will be a tad bit easier for all of us! I know my household has had a tough one as well...I know Diane has also!

God bless!