Thursday, July 27, 2006

POV

So, okay, here's the scene.

It's a bright, sunny Sunday afternoon. And it's hot. After spending over four hours at the beach and swimming in Lake Michigan and nearby river, my son, his friend and my hubbie are inside our trailer, which I think is close to a sin on such a beautiful, breezy day as this.

Now, here's the thing. I like it quiet on Sunday afternoons esp if I have some time alone. Or should I say, I'd expect that in the park, it would be quiet on a Sunday afternoon. It's one thing when I'm enjoying the outdoors, say fishing, reading a book on my deck or even when sitting by a roaring campfire. I expect noise then, right? Of course. But today there is an unusually loud, annoying man-made noise in the park from one of the nearby campers. It's some sort of power generator, which I have come to find out is from someone power-spraying his/her trailer. Yeah so my soothing, relaxing time is not so soothing because of this over-bearing, constant noise.

I'm pretty darn good at drowning out noises (whether they are internal or external) in order to accomplish a quiet Sunday when necessary. But I confess having to work hard to tune out that generator. It's humming and buzzing and not stopping. It's been a few hours. Nope, still there.

Well it got me to thinking. Life is like this, isn't it? In order to accomplish any goal, hear God's voice, we must learn to quiet the other voices and noises around us. At times, peace doesn't come easily--we need to work hard to achieve it. Let the problems go, let the internal monologue go, and let God give you peace. And if you want peace on any noisy day, you might just need to block out the noise, even if only for an hour. Yes, even blocking machinery.

How to block these stubborn noises? Focus. It takes a great deal of focus/concentration to block out equipment, believe me--but I've been doing it as I concentrate on writing exercises and reading a book. I've trained myself to focus on the task while taking out the background. I still know the noise is there, no doubt about that. We can't just work away from life's problems or issues, but we can put them in the proper prospective so they don't run havoc to destroy our peace and joy.

It's about staying at the task at hand until something stops you that can't be stopped and yes, there are those things. I'm interrupted many times at work, but when focusing on the top priority task, I go back when I've taken care of the other issue. But when the focus is on the project rather than the noise, we're actually working harder and longer on our goal. Could you imagine if we stopped everything in our day when we hear an annoying noise or couldn't block our annoying self-talk? We wouldn't ever get anything accomplished.

So when the noises of life take over, just remember to stay on task until the job is complete--even if it takes many interruptions. Ahh, the post is written and the external noise has stopped. The generator humming has stopped. Now isn't that perfect timing? Ha! But isn't that the story of our lives?

Enjoy the Journey

5 comments:

Dave said...

Hello

I have a constant ringing in my ears that is much like that generator. I can't get it to shut up.

It makes my brain tired.

Visited Wendy Wings for the Auditions? There's a link on my blog.

Have you read my latest additions to my book?

http://blackwhiteandshadesofgray.blogspot.com/

I have added 2 chapters early on, and am writing a third.

It is becoming so much more than it was. It has a lot more depth.

How is your writing world?

Gonna check Wendy's one more time, then hit they hay

TTFN

Lisa said...

Hi Dave!

I did see that you had revised more! Good job!

I've been focusing on my novel, also. I'm part of a writing group workshop, posting (trying) 2,000 words per week--and then revising after critique. I haven't been posting quite so much since I have so much to revise-imagine that. I have been looking at moving big scenes around and you know that affects a little of everything in places :)

I'll try to get over there tonite and offer my feedback.

Take care and thanks for stopping by!!

Diane Viere said...

Ah, yes! The noise of life! Some days I do better than others blocking out the distractive noise of life. Of late--I have had to simply lay down on my favorite hammock, pick up my most recent book, and block out the distractions of reality--while diving into the characters and storyline of my novel! What a great way to escape. Thankfully, it is summer--in which, I give myself permission to escape more often than any other season! Need to fill up the relaxation account in preparation for Fall, Winter and Spring!

Great post today Lisa---as always!

Diane

Hotboy said...

You seem to have landed on my blog. I've written about ten novels (mostly rubbish!), so good luck with your first one. Glad the generator stopped. People sometimes use strimmers that sound like motorbikes in my allotment. Why spoil the peace and quiet! Hotboy

Lisa said...

Hi Diane~
I love summer, and this summer is one of the best! Everyone is healthy (praise God) and althought there are always problems, this summer has been uneventful.

As fall approaches, my life gets crazy again, so I'm trying to appreciate the calm before the storm ;) My son is in cross country and starts drivers training next week--a lot of running around for me! Plus trying to get a garage door replaced!

Sound like fun?? Like I said, I'm enjoying my summer while it lasts :)

Hi Hotboy,
Glad you stopped by my blog! Noise is everywhere! :) On my novel, what a mess! I think I should just put it away and start a new one. But I've put my heart and soul into this one, it will be hard to let it go. It's all a learning experience, right? Unfortunately I wrote the book b4 I studied much on writing novels, now that was super intelligent wasn't it? Obviously it wasn't planned--it just poured out of me. I'm hoping I can revise as I learn and then take those lessons learned and apply it to another book. ;) If I don't go insane first. I just don't know how people do it...esp working full-time or with young families...what a fun nightmare :)

Take care ya'll and have a blessed day!