Thursday, December 01, 2005

Daily Writing for Weds, Nov 30

The Box-Written by Lisa Braendle

I glance out the window in my living room and see really big snowflakes coming down from the sky. It makes me want to make a fat snowman. My hands and chin are propped on the windowsill waiting for Christmas to begin.

I look at the clock and the hand isn’t moving at all. I know it’s not because I’ve been staring at it, and if that hand is moving, it isn’t moving fast enough. I felt like this on my last birthday when I turned six years old. Daddy says I’m a big girl now.

My eyes dart back and forth to the street in front of my house. Where are they? This isn’t good. Not good at all. Suddenly, I see something coming down the road. This must be the one. No, no, no! Not the neighbor’s big old truck. I think it’s ugly, especially now.

My face is pressed up against the cold window as I try to look down the road further when finally, I see glaring lights approaching through the falling snow. Please, please, please…let it be the right one this time. Yea, they’re here, I say to myself as I jump up and down. “They’re here,” I yell now so the whole world can hear me. Well, okay, so my family will hear me anyway. My heart is thumping so fast, I think it's coming out.

I race to the big front door as fast as my little legs can carry me and run right into my brothers who have heard the commotion, and we tumble on each other like that game called Dominose or something like that. I glare at my two younger brothers and push my way past them to get to the door. My tummy starts to rumble and tumble, like I’m getting ready to get in front of the class at school.

I fling open the door just in time to see the box. It’s only the biggest box you’ve ever seen. It must be 200 feet tall. It looks just like last year and the year before that. No, wait…it might just be bigger than that! I don’t think my Grandpa can carry it, but he does. He must be really strong. He drops the biggest box ever at my feet with a grin on his face. My face lights up like the thousands of lights on our Christmas tree. I know what’s in that box. Can you guess what’s in there? Extra water fills my mouth as I think about it.

Okay, I’ll tell ya. Millions and millions of goodies. Gooey cookies like chocolate chip, oatmeal and raisin, peanut butter and smooth chocolate-nut fudge and every kind of sweet you can think of. Peanut brittle? Yup, it’s in there. My brothers and I scoot down in front of the box after it has been placed on a nearby chair. We also see presents wrapped in reds, greens, and gold colors-bright and glittery with big, bright bows on top being brought in.

My mouth hits the floor, and I quickly close it because spit starts to fall out from smelling Grandma’s cookies. I just want one. I yank on my Mom’s apron and beg. She says no. Man, I just gotta have one. Each little goodie has its on little box, whether it’s a shoebox or a Tupperware container. I lift one of the lids as I look over my shoulder for my Mommy or Daddy, but no one is watching. Daddy and Grandpa are still bringing presents in from Grandpa’s truck, and Mommy sighs. My brothers are putting the presents under the tree. They hold and shake presents as they laugh and try to guess what the presents are.

Smiling, I open the lid and inside are the bestest looking cookies in the whole, wide world. I grab one of the chocolate-chip cookies and take a big bite and crumbs fall to the floor.

Oh sorry, do you want one?

The end
Freestyle writing 101 at home! ;) Fiction based on happy Christmas memories.

No comments: