Friday, December 16, 2005

Holiday Wishes-

I've been struggling with something my Pastor commented on last Sunday in his sermon. He mentioned (as he does this time of the year) how it frustrates him to see so many "watered down" versions of ways to extend our salutations of Christmas wishes, such as "Happy Holidays, Merry X-Mas, etc." I thought about this because I am big on generic greetings, especially Happy Holidays. I wondered if I did this to be politically correct. I searched my soul hoping that wasn't the case. At work, I need to sign for our company Christmas gift of Mixed Nuts and I always sign, Happy Holidays. I would have to admit that was probably the case subconsciously, since I don't know all of the religious beliefs of our customers. But when I use the generic with family and friends, it is more out of laziness to cover all of the holidays than anything else.

It bothered me, though. If this is the case, how am I letting others know about the celebration of Christ and how much CHRISTMAS means to me? If I can't even sign a card with Merry Christmas any longer, what does that say? I didn't like my own answer to that question. So, I say to all of you, no matter what your beliefs are: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS!!!

I want to proclaim my reason for celebrating Christmas is JESUS, JESUS, JESUS!!! I AM SO THANKFUL FOR HIS BIRTH AND HIS GIFT TO ME.

Okay, there I feel a little better.

4 comments:

Dave said...

This has been a topic of discussion in our family in years past. My dad was taking the side of saying "Holidays" was fearing man not God.

I can see his point, but also recognize that Hannukah and Kwanza are both at the same general time, so in that respect wishing Happy Holidays takes into account that not everyone is necessarily Christian.

In regards to using X-mas in place of Christmas, I do have an issue. That to me takes Christ out of it.

So, my advice is consult Heavenly Father, and He will let you know through His Spirit if something is appropriate or not.

Merry Christmas!

porchwise said...

Why the quandry? For Christ's sake, Merry Christmas.

Dave said...

well said porch

Lisa said...

Merry Christmas to you guys! And yes it is all for Christ's sake.