Thursday, July 14, 2005

Blogs And Electronic Rights

Hello Fellow Bloggers:

I read something interesting in the current issue of Writer’s Digest Magazine (which I highly recommend) regarding electronic rights for writing on blogs. I have been wondering about this issue since I started putting parts of my stories on my blog and wondered if these were then considered published works.

According to Writer’s Digest’s legal experts, it is considered published once an individual posts their work(s) on their blog, and it even went on to say that it might even affect first rights. Interesting. I see quite a few people listing their stories/works on their site. Of course, these writings are usually only drafts of one’s works/stories, so it wouldn’t apply unless one submitted the exact same thing (finished copy) to be published. Right?

Anyone have any thoughts on this or anything to add? Inquiring minds want to know :)

3 comments:

SappyChick said...

Hi Lisa,

I saw the same article in Writer's Digest (and I agree with you on that recommendation). When I started my blog just a few months ago, I debated about posting some of the stuff that I've done so far on my novel (It's just a chapter and a half rith now.), but I decided against it then because I wondered about the copywright issues with it.

I have posted poetry and personal essays on my blog, but nothing that I definitely plan on getting published.

But that's just what I do. I'm not sure of any other definites concerning posting work and first rights. Frankly, I'm a total newbie with things like that.

Lisa said...

Thanks for all of your comments. I won't be posting any finished works on my blog because I think that would be an issue for publishing elsewhere. What I'm most curious about is the drafts- are they considered part of the original works (in regards to the rights) even though they aren't in finished format?

Dana said...

That I don't know. I will ask around.