Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Voice in the Night-

Her eyes are dark but bright as fire. Her arms flail about her as they wave up and down and all around like a flag in the wind. She claws at her skin as if it is something that doesn’t belong there. She tries to stop, but cannot. Bruises and cuts on her body show her road has been a ragged, tough one. The voice beckons.

He reaches for her. He grabs one hand, then the other and with his touch, ends her torment. She looks into his intense eyes for redemption, but there is only compassion and love. Redemption is not his to give. They lock eyes and remain silent for what seems like an eternity. Holding her hand, he turns and ushers her down the path.

“Why do you have such little faith, little one?”

“I am weak and tired.”

“But, you know how I’ve helped you before?”

“Yes, but again, I am weak. I only see the life I have now. I can’t see a better future. What is there for me here?”

“I don’t know for sure, but I do know that you must have faith or all is lost within you.”

“Maybe I’ll just stay lost. There is some comfort in knowing that, I think.”

“Such a sad thing for such a young woman to say.”

“You don’t know my life.”

“I think I do.”

“You don’t understand.”

“I think I do.”

“Help me, then.”

“I can only show you the way-you must be the one to listen to my voice and go down the path of the one who has chosen you.”

“I am scared and frightened that the path will be worse than the one I’m following now-how will I know it is a better way?”

“Trust in my voice and in the way of the one who loves you, and you will not fail. You only fail if you do not try. I will be here.”

She sits on the cold, hard ground, wrapping her arms around her knees rocking back and forth, back and forth. Thank you, she whispers in the still of the night.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Ooo, that is good, Lisa! You should submit it somewhere!

Lisa said...

Thanks again for your encouragement, Dana! This came to me the other day at work so I jotted it down. I like the small, spur of the moment writing-it always makes me feel good. Unfortunately, the longer the work, the uglier it gets :)