Thursday, February 16, 2006

Writing Groups-Good or Bad?

Good day fellow bloggers-

It seems as if I've been a part of writing groups all of my life when in actuality, it's only been six months. Why am I bringing this up? Well, to fellow inspiring writers, I wanted to encourage you to join a "serious" writing group when you have something you want to submit to the publishing world.

The good part of honest critique should be common sense. It helps. You will learn. I guarantee it. There are so many little things to accomplish for a piece to "work". Having other unbiased input is crucial. We all need help in determining what works and what doesn't with whatever we're working on. That doesn't mean that the writer must agree with every crit, but it often sparks new ideas and a different approach just might be needed. The past six months have been very instrumental to improving my writing skills, I think better than any writing class could accomplish. And the best part is the writing groups I participate in are free!

Okay for the down side. Thick skin. Gotta have it. The critiques normally aren't pretty, especially for newbie writers like myself. The first crits I had on a story were, how shall I say it? Harsh? Terrible? Crushing? Or somewhere in between? I felt many emotions, but bottom line, they were helpful and necessary for improvement. It was a reality check. I needed to work much harder than I thought I would. But, am I better for it? You bet. I received so much helpful feedback, it was amazing. And of course I still am.

So today's tip? Get your work out there! I know, I know...it's tough. It gets personal. What? Personal? I thought writers weren't supposed to take these things personally? Well, guess what writers are sensitive souls. We do take a harsh crit to heart, but with time and experience, we do adjust and we do learn. And then the coolest thing happens, you start to help other people with their writing as well! Now, that is fun. ;) It's interesting that we can find so many other flaws in other writer's work when our own looks just fine. This is why critique is necessary.

Well, I hope I have encouraged the nervous writer out there to submit one of their works to a writing group out there and haven't scared anyone instead. Oh and one more thing, find a strong, supportive, honest critique group. Keep an eye on the posts for awhile (most require crits first anyway) before posting so that you can get a feel for the experience and the type of crits being offered. You'll know whether it's for you or not. I belong to four but only two am I very active with, depending upon the type of project I'm working on.

There are different writing groups depending upon the writing project you are working on so make sure that the group will review and crit the type of work you need assistance with.

Go ahead, try it! Need help? Just email me.

Happy Writing!

4 comments:

C. H. Green said...

Lisa,
I wholeheartedly agree. I have had some wonderful experiences, especially on Zoetrope, because even though the critiques are harsh, you know that someone who cares about your work and improving it is offering their opinion--not just some family member that is half scared of you. LOL. I have found it humbling and validating at the same time. Good advice!

Diane Viere said...

Lisa,

Your blog suggestion today...is very inviting! Thank you for sharing so openly regarding your writing experience. You are so right...writing is so personal, yet, most often, writing is meant to be--shared.

I have written, primarily, for inspirational (local) publications. While I have saved every piece written, I have only dreamed of being published in a larger capacity. After stalking (!!!!) Cynthia's writing journey on Beneath the Ivy Wreath, I have been inspired to submit just a few pieces to a National Devotional Publication. Now, after reading your blog site today--it looks like I have been challenged to join a writing group. Although, the requirement of "thick skin" worries me just a little. So I will do as you suggest and start slowly.

Are you a member of on-line writing groups? Or do you attend writing groups locally?

Who knows what you have started here Lisa! :)

Diane

Lisa said...

Hi Diane-
Welcome back! I'm sooooo glad you are taking my advice. You won't be disappointed. No way to get around getting criticism on your work and sometimes it's harsh, but it will be worth it. It does get easier to take ;)

I belong to writing groups on-line. One group moderator from one of my writing groups put me in touch with another one :) My favorite writing groups are yahoo groups.

My 1st choice for only short stories is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SS_group_MAIN/
(your story will be scheduled) I highly recommend this for short story fiction.

It's terrible, but I can't remember how I even joined. I know I had to get a yahoo email address. Check out above link and if this sounds like something you'd like, email me and I'll put you in touch with the moderator to join.

There is also another yahoo group that offers critique on all types of writing. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/critical_writing/
Here you can post right away (well, after 3 crits that is.)

One is Writers in the Mist, which is just getting started and if you'd like to participate in this, please contact Dave who also visits my blog.

And last but not least, there is yet another one that I was referred to by another blogger friend called "Notebored." This has writing challenges and many different ways to post your work. This is more low-key, but I think yahoo groups are the best for more crits.

Also, please ask Cindy more about Zoetrope. I haven't tried it because I have enough just to keep up with the ones I'm already involved in, but it sounds like a good one too.

But there are soooo many more!! Put writing groups in google and see what you find! If you want more detailed info, feel free to email me!

You've made my day! Happy Writing!
***
Hi there Cindy!
Hope all is well. I'm glad you like Zoetrope!! Keep on writing. It does get discouraging at times. But, we must look at it as a challenge. And, that it is! I tell myself every time I get one of "those" crits I need to remember that I have tough skin-ha ha.

ps-I have thought about starting one up at the local library-but...not sure on that yet ;)

Take care ladies!!

Dave said...

Happy Writing! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Writing groups are wonderful