Thursday, May 26, 2005

In Remembrance of Virginia Harmsen-My Grandmother

I will start out by saying that my posts WILL NOT be this long. As Memorial Day approaches, I want to celebrate and remember my Grandmother's life.

Virginia Marie Merrell was born on April 20, 1920 in Pine Grove, Michigan. She was my Grandmother, she loved me, and I have wonderful memories of her-such a simple statement to make but such a powerful one. Important memories pack a punch, don’t they? They stay with us, shaping us and molding us as we stroll through this journey called life.

Grandma had a zest for life especially when it came to her family-she loved buying things and doing things for us, never complaining (that I heard any way) she was doing too much. She wholeheartedly supported most family and friends. She had many friendships and did a lot of work for a Methodist church a few blocks from her house for a long time. Through the years in the rain, snow or sleet, she with Grandpa in hand could be found at either my brothers or my own school and sporting events.

She wasn’t perfect of course, although she was to me. Life was hard for her early in life-marrying men who weren’t right for her, and making poor decisions. Times were tough, and she often did odd jobs to help support her young family. One particular lunch visit, I remember conversing with her as I complained about a situation at work. She would tell me of her job at one point many years ago of picking up coal by the coal trains to support her children. I guess I don’t have it so tough, I thought. She pushed forward with her life, determined to have a better future and more than made up for it later being the supportive, caring, warm and funny person she was around us-adding joy to our lives.

She was colorful. As I recall, she usually had on a funky pair of sunglasses on at various sporting events, either wearing a unique colored ball cap or her short hair in disarray, wearing long dangly earrings and multi colored/patterned socks that never seemed to match her pants or outfit. Stains from her lunch could be seen on her blouse, which she either didn’t know about or didn’t care much about. I didn’t ever see her scrambling to change. Not that my brothers and I ever seemed to mind, she always looked beautiful to us wearing her best smile and giving us her big hugs. It was her way of expressing herself, she was comfortable to be around and very much her own person. She could be found surrounded by some sort of knitted or crocheted craft or afghan, adding to her creative style and presence. She also enjoyed listening to music.

I remember the way my Grandmother smelled growing up-you know all Grandmother’s have that certain scent about them. My Grandmother always smelled of food. She loved food-spicier the better. That might explain her solid build. She especially enjoyed baking for her family and boy could she bake: cookies, cakes and pies, oh my. Walking in with her gigantic box of goodies, which appeared the size of two city blocks to us kids, she was the hero of her grandchildren. We stood there wide-eyed with mouths hanging wide open.

Although, my interests don't include cooking and baking, I’d like to think I’m a little like her. She also enjoyed writing, genealogy and scrap booking-writing tidbits, recipes, crafts and anything important to her. She kept many pictures, every newspaper clipping of anyone even remotely related and many other memorabilia in her many scrapbooks of life.

I miss that role in my life, being her granddaughter, that special person in her life. I miss the woman who helped shape my life, but I also take comfort knowing she will not be forgotten. And even though, my Grandmother, Virginia passed away several years ago, she lives in the smiles of my children as they spend time with their Grandma (her daughter), who is also a great Grandmother, and also in the wonderful memories we all shared. Never to be forgotten as she smiles through all of the pictures, cards, scrapbooks, journals and crafts.

Most important, by being a positive role model, my Grandmother showed me how to love and to be loved. She showed me that I could be less than perfect, face adversity and become a better person. Her legacy will continue on.

No comments: