Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Rejection-(Sometimes) a good thing?

I received a great email yesterday in response to one of my short genealogy essays I submitted on my great-grandmother, whom I have never met. The editor of this genealogy magazine wasn't interested in my general how-to article, but liked my style and welcomed another submission. I submitted my second submission and this was his response:

His email simply read, "I am sorry but I did not find anything inspiring in your second story and must decline this." Why is this a great email, you ask? Well, first, he took the time to respond, and second, it will help improve my writing. I changed some things in the essay and resubmitted it to another magazine editor. Of course, I didn't enjoy the email much at the time, but upon reading it again, I found it to be the perfect response and had to chuckle.

I will not give up. I'm going to keep right on writing and writing and writing. I enjoyed writing the article mentioned above and that's what really matters the most to me. And, in time, I'm confident I will find its rightful home.

Tips for today: Drink plenty of spring water especially those of you out in hot weather-it's 85 here in Michigan. Do (at least) one thing you enjoy each day. I know it's hard-but we can do it!

Enjoy the journey and God bless!

2 comments:

Dana said...

That's a great attitude. My first rejection (on a short story)was disheartening, but I went and did a bot of rewriting and editing and sent it off again where it was accepted. I am learning so much about how to find good homes for my writing. Trial and error.

Lisa said...

Hi Dana,
Thanks so much for your comment. You are so right. Trial and Error is the best way I am learning from this learning journey!